Tangy, zesty and great for giving you a lift from winter, wet summer days or post-holiday blues.
A very easy recipe requiring a small amount of preparation followed by time for it to do its thing in the oven whilst you relax or get on with whatever needs doing.
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
4 chicken thighs
10 small waxy potatoes, cut into quarters slicing along the length of the potato
1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
6 fat cloves garlic, left whole with the skin on
1/2 tsp dried oregano (optional)
Salt and pepper
1 lemon, cut into 6 slicing along the length of the lemon (preferably unwaxed)
100-200ml water or chicken stock (I used concentrated chicken stock from a bottle mixed with water)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Put the chicken thighs, potatoes, onion and garlic in a roasting try. Season with the oregano (if using), salt and pepper. Drizzle over a good glug of olive oil and squeeze some of the juice from the lemon slices into the tray and then them throw in.
- Get your hands in to make sure everything is coated. Turn the chicken skin side up then tuck the lemons, potatoes, onion and garlic under and around.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove and turn the oven down to 180 degrees.
- Turn the potatoes over. Pour in 100ml of water or chicken stock and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and whether more liquid is needed, there needs to be enough for everyone to have a little sauce. You might need to pour a little more water or stock into the tray before returning to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with green beans tossed in garlic and olive oil or a side salad or maybe even some greens.